Saturday, March 20, 2010

Gi vs. No Gi: The Neverending Debate

One topic that comes up quite often is the debate about gi vs no gi. One argument is about whether the gi helps people with their no gi or their no gi helps people with their gi. I'm going to take the stance that no gi helps the gi game MUCH MUCH MUCH more than the other way around. There are things that help each other obviously, but at the end of the day I don't care what Marcello Garcia or Demian Maia say, but it's like this: would you be running marathons in order to compete in the 100m? Sure you're running in both, but they're very different.

The first thing people need to realize is how different they are. To the untrained eye, it's still guardpassing, submissions, sweeps, etc... How you execute the techniques are extremely different. There is a plethora of moves you can't do without a gi on, and there are a bunch of techniques that wouldn't work if you have a gi on. Example: there is no real no gi version of the cross collar choke, on the other side, it's very difficult to rear naked choke people with a gi.

People have a misconception that no gi is not as technical, that you can get away with more because there are no grips, it can get slippery, and that speed can make up for a lot. I think it's important to note that no gi is incredibly technical BECAUSE you have very few grips (underhooks, headties, etc...), you need to learn how to use them. I have always believed in using speed and strength, but when it's appropriate. At the end of the day when all technique and cardio are equal, the faster/stronger opponent is going to win 9 times out of 10. Training without the gi needs to be treated like a different animal than gi training. You need to learn how to use the grips properly and you need to really learn how to use your weight and pressure your opponent. With a gi you can grab a handful of it and pin a part of your opponent down, with no gi you have to learn where to put your body, how to hold your opponent, and how and where to put your weight on your opponent to accomplish various techniques.

When debating about whether gi helps no gi or no gi helps gi more, I truly believe no gi helps gi much more. First off, like I said previously about the pressure you need to learn with no gi, you can translate that to gi, where if you only trained gi, you may not have had the opportunity or need to learn how to put that extra bit of pressure. Techniques translate from no gi to gi very regularly, but don't necessarily go the other way. It's not always the case, but it's true on a large scale. My game works very well for both gi and no gi, it translates well back and forth. I know for my guard game, I'm actually much more dangerous with a gi on because I have many more grips to play with, but that doesn't mean I don't find a good deal of success without the gi on. I feel that my gi game got much stronger because I spent nearly 2 years training no gi and mma rather than sport bjj. Obviously my no gi game excelled, but adding all those techniques also taught me how to use underhooks, overhooks, etc... and I also really learned how to put pressure on my opponents so they can't weasel out of positions. No gi has made my gi game MUCH tighter. I always say that my instructors weigh a metric ton when they pass my guard, I hope to gain that ability some day. When Keith or Kenny get mount, it feels like I'm drowning and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm eventually going to get submitted, if I try to escape, I get my back taken then choked. It's a very helpless feeling, he's so heavy there, and simply doesn't allow you any space to try and escape. While I can't measure it, I really believe their mount is so incredible due to training without a gi on.

I'm sure this debate will go on forever, but I've taken my stance on it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, these are my opinions on the debate and I'm pretty sure I'll always believe that no gi improves the gi game much more than vice versa.

4 comments:

  1. Great article Alex It sounds like the argument you are making is that Gi has a wider breadth of techniques but No-Gi requires more precision in the specific techniques available which I can totally buy into. Sounds like that is why the best Gi BJJ players can transition so easily to No-Gi. You have to be perfect in the Gi to succeed at the elite Black belt level so that mindset transitions over pretty seamlessly to a No-gi game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel there are probably more techniques in gi vs. no gi, but no gi really holds it's own as well, there are many techniques that would only work due to the fact there isn't a gi to nullify it. There are enough techniques that cross over that the best gi bjj guys can win the Mundials and the Abu Dhabi. They're winning because they are simply the best at it not because their gi training helped them succeed in no gi, while true to an extent, the opposite holds much more truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I may opine on the post guys --
    In a no gi game, one has to process more factors more quickly than he/she would in the gi game. No gi competitors must pay attention to joints/hinges in the human anatomy and what secondary joints could secure the first. Many times you would be required to keep both primary and secondary joints/hinges secure before making your move. For example, to straighten an opponent's leg one should consider straightening the knee with his hand above the kneecap in addition to grabbing the heel. In a gi game, one could merely use the cloth, which when pulled tight acts as a splint for any joints in range. Another example - to secure the arm of an opponent in your guard, one would consider securing the shoulder as well to keep everything tight. Side note - I think one of the most overlooked factors is grips in the no gi game. Next point, I believe one must process more quickly with no gi because of, well for one, the sweat factor. Processing speed demand increases with greater use of one's sensitivity center, and I believe sensitivity is used much more in no gi. Whichever side you take on the debate, I believe your greatest asset is your brain....wait scratch that....the brains of those more advanced than yourself...and then your own brain. No matter what it is, I analyze first and then do. And if you have experts and intelligent people around you explaining theory like Alex here, you are privy to great info that will only make you better. Second is training with people better than you...not to take your shot at the title so to speak, but to learn his/her movements...trying to see his/her movements 3 steps ahead before they are executed. Training slowly, training with the idea in mind that you are the creator of this new thing called jiu-jitsu and your job is to analyze how every little part of the body can be leveraged to your advantage. Who knows? You may stumble upon your own new move! Even if by some chance it was already discovered, your own discovery per se can be a real confidence booster.

    Wow, I really got into this more than I had intended. Alex I just started reading the posts and can't stop...great work/ideas man. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming! Sorry for commandeering the blog for a moment. You stay classy San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, nice reply, should start a blog of your own with all of that! Once the mundials are over, I'm switching my focus to no gi.

    ReplyDelete

 
Free Hit Counter