Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cost of Training

When I hear about somebody saying that BJJ costs too much, it really puzzles me as to why they believe that's the case. Think about it this way, a BJJ black belt has more than likely been involved in the sport at LEAST 8 years (yeah there are a few rare cases where it was less, but there are FAR more people who took longer than 8 years than less to receive a black belt) whereas somebody could just as easily get an undergraduate degree and go on to receive a PHD in a subject in that same amount of time. A BJJ black is essentially the same as a professor at a university and should be thought of in the same manner when you think about the monthly cost of training.  People tend to undervalue training and push BJJ into a martial arts or exercise bucket that shouldn't exceed $50/month.

BJJ is not for everybody.  I rarely find gyms that are too expensive anywhere.  The prices vary from city to city typically depending on the cost of living.  It's rare that I find academies grossly overpriced.  Some people find that $100 or more per month is expensive (I'm using $100 as a nice round number, but quality instruction comes more at the $150/ month range).  I have no other word that can describe these people other than the word stupid.  I don't get paid to teach, I don't have my own academy, but I think overall BJJ is undervalued.  When I hear people complaining about the price or about how they cannot afford it, it blows my mind.  I have seen a lot of people come in and inquire about the academy and never sign up, a lot of times using the excuse that the school is too expensive.  You aren't paying for a class, you aren't paying for exercise, you aren't even really paying for instruction (though that's an important thing you get out of it), you're paying for a life changing experience.  It truly is an eye-opening, humbling art that provides people with so many benefits in their lives.  People improve their lives through BJJ in so many ways from weight loss to better self-esteem to actually seeing the world in a different way.  If money is an issue for people wanting to pursue BJJ, they are probably not making the best personal life choices.

I have a friend who always wanted to train, but never did.  He always complained about how expensive training is and that he has no money.  This same friend of mine would routinely spend $100-$200 on alcohol every single weekend.  At the end of the day, it's about the choices you make.  Do you want to better your life or do you want to buy some new kicks or the newest iPhone (even though your phone works perfectly). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter